Sunday, April 8, 2012

Traditions and Buying Organic

Yesterday couldn't have been any more perfect! The weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. We went down to my parents for a little Easter tradition. Which brings me to my first topic.

Traditions:
Growing up I don't remember having any holiday traditions. We didn't ever have big family get togethers, or every year for Thanksgiving went to the same family members house, etc. But one ting I remember ALWAYS doing, even when my sis and I got older was dying Easter Eggs. For some reason my mom always wanted us to do this. I believe that because if this I have now always done Easter Eggs with my daughter, now daughters:) Last year Em was too little to participate but this year she was more than willing to throw her eggs into the cup of colored liquid! So that is what we did today. We dyed eggs and also did a little Easter Egg Hunt in my parents backyard. T showed Em the ropes and before we knew it Em was finding them on her own and putting them into her goodie bag. It was fun watching the girls on the hunt together! They also got to open their Easter baskets from my parents. Both we full of goodies to the brim. The girls are the only grandchildren so needless to say they are both very spoiled by the grandparents. I'm perfectly ok with it, after all that is what grandparents are for, right?!?!?! My mom still, even after all these years gets an Easter basket full of stuff for me and my sister. This year it was a new jammie set and some Cadbury eggs, my favorite! Love new jammies as well, i am wearing them as we speak, or type for that matter.















 I hope that I can do this with my girls for as long as possible. Traditions I think are important, even if there is just one of them:) What traditions do you and your family have?

Now on to my other topic, organic foods and products.

Buying Organic:
I never though  I would be one of those people that really cared about organic stuff and thought, how different can organic products be anyway? For the first year of my baby's life I would only buy her organic baby food. It wasn't breaking the bank and so when I saw that I had the option to buy organic I did. I love Ella's Kitchen, and Plum baby food pouches! Anyways, as she got older and started eating more snacks I still was buying organic. I still do,  if I have the choice buy organic. Just yesterday I was at Henry's. I wish we had one close to our house, but there is one by my parents and so I always try to go there when I am down there. I spotted organic turkey meat. My baby loves turkey but her doctor said to stay away from regular turkey lunch meat due to the nitrates and high salt and other stuff. So when I came across this gem I snagged it up! It was expensive $6.99 for a half pound. I took it home and for a snack gave her some turkey and a couple chucks of string cheese. She gobbled it up! Crazy thing though, and kinda scary at the same time is on the package it says that you have to use all of the turkey within 4 days of opening it. Now I don't know about you but when I buy lunch meat from the grocery store it will last a lot longer than 4 days! What is in it that is making its shelf life longer?!?! I don't even want to know. Makes me think twice about the things I buy from my family. So I guess that answers my questions, how different can they be, a guess there is measurable differences. Will I continue to buy non-organic stuff? Will I trek over to completely organic? Completely is a crazy but when I have the choice you better believe it!
 Have a great rest of the night Friends!


1 comment:

  1. What a great easter.
    I have been the same with organic or not. I do buy it but it isn't a MOST. I don't taste a different but I can only imagine it is better. As for the meat I am looking into buying 1/4 of an organic beef cow soon!! FREEZER!

    ReplyDelete