Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Freestone Four Take A Mental Health Break

Mr. Freestone needed to take a hockey coaches class since he is an assistant coach for Tay's hockey team. When we found out that it was going to take place in San Diego we were super excited and decided to all go. It couldn't have came at a better time too. We all needed a mental health day(s). We totally took ourselves off the grid. No Internet. No hockey. No phones ringing off the hook. Just us, with our girls, enjoying  and soaking up every second. We need these days every once in a while, I think all busy families do. We are so consumed by work, hockey, school, and running a household, that we often forget the importance of family and time together. We needed to stop and just talk and laugh together. I never really realized how much social media took over my life. I feel like every chance I got I was looking at my phone. Checking Facebook or Instagram.  I turned my phone off and left it in my car. I didn't grab it for 2 straight days. I loved it! I still haven't looked at either. I don't miss them. 
We stayed in La Jolla Friday night. The Embassey Suites has a Manger's Reception everynight for hotel guests. Which basically means snacks and open bar. A soda for Mama, a Shirley Temple for Tay, and a beer or two for Dad! Can't beat free drinks and food:) We got up super early the next morning, but all was good because they offer free breakfast, coffee, yogurt, oatmeal, made to order omlettes, etc. I showered and went downstairs and filled our coffee cups! It was nice to have coffee already made for you. He had to be at his class by 8:30. And then the girls and I were meeting my mom and sister at the San Diego Zoo for a day together and it was also my little sister's birthday. The weather could not have been any more awesome. It was a cool 70 degrees with drizzle! I dropped him and made my way to the zoo, about 10 minutes away. It was great timing because as soon as we pulled up, so did they. We bought our tickets and went into the park. We literally had the zoo to ourselves for the first half of the day. It was fantastic! No crowds, no people blocking you from seeing any of the animals. What a great day! Wish we lived closer, I'd get season passes! 
The zoo closed at 5 and we headed to our favorite eating spot in San Diego, The Chicken Pie Shop. I have talked about this place before. If ever in San Diego, it is a MUST try! Chicken Pot Pie, corn, mashed potatoes, warm rolls, coleslaw and for dessert, I chose Coconut Cream Pie! Holy cow, it was so good! We chatted over dinner about the coaches class and about moving, yes we are moving! Can't wait! Headed home with full bellies and precious memories. That is what life is all about...right?













1 comment:

  1. I love to go phoneless too! We just had a weekend camping wonderful peaceful!

    Looks like a great getaway :)

    ReplyDelete